Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schemitzun!

Hey powwow committee!

Why don't you just invite the certain dancers, drums, and head staff that you want to pay?

If you look in your program booklet you see the same dancers names every year since 95. It's gets a little lame. Sure they are great dancers but there are other really good dancers too. I imagine if you pick different head staff except for really well known people such as John WindyBoy, Ron Good Eagle maybe other head staff will pick judges that just pick anyone instead of just picking friends of the best dancers, then maybe some fairness will come out of it. I noticed the MC's saying "judge on talnet, not just names". So that was bull because I know there are other great dancers, but everyone knew who the winners were gonna be. THE ONES WITH THE NAMES!

Singing is the same way. I think The Boyz are awesome but Black Lodge should have taken it instead of TBZ. The Boyz sounded weak without Marlin, Worm, Opie, and McAllen. They needed em, but Midnite Express has now stole the show. (lol) Sorry Boyz!

Southern was good but I thought YoungBird sounded better than Bad Medicine.

Northern was a joke for many reasons. First of all Battle River taking 1st. yeah right. Missing roll calls, scrapping each other outside the tent. (Committee, why make rules if they need not be followed?; just say anything goes) Mandaree is gonna place just because of their name as well. They barely know the song until the second time through. Third place made me laugh. All I gotta say is singing other peoples songs shouldn't get you anywhere. How many different songs now was it? 3 maybe 4 other peoples songs. And one was a MYSTIC RIVER song. Now how does that work?

Switch song was wrongly judged. If it were judge correctly everyone knew that Snake Island did the best switch song. My hat goes off to them. Way to go boys! 2nd place would have been Bear Creek. Made Cozad proud boys! And third would have been Battle River.

Schemitzun used to be the best powwow, what happened?

dis-ap-pointed

Just wanted to clarify some things............TBZ won it on their own!!!!! Didn't need anyone or anyone's songs. Only broz TBZ wished were there was Marlin and Bud to celebrate their victory. If you think they sounded weak then I guess that's ur opinion, but, obviously not everyone thought they sounded as weak as u say they did. SO HATE ON!!!!!! It's all good though!!!

As for the switch contest goes.........Southern Boyz all the way!!!!!! They were the only Southern drum group to sing a contemporary song..........a word one at that!!!!!!! Not too many southern groups can do that.

As for the dancing.........it's like that anywhere u go. Same winners, finishing in the same places. Might as well get use to it.

Comment

dachozn1 -

The Boyz rightfully won. Did not sound weak.

Snake Island did sing the best switch. They sang like they was from Oklahoma on that Youngbird song. Shoulda got first. Southern Boyz sounded southern.

Youngbird did sound better'n Bad Medicine.

The Dancers who won - won because they were good. They'll win again this weekend somewhere.

I won but on the low end. Probably won't win again for awhile. Ayyee.

Meal tickets? That sucked. $15 registration also sucked. The rule book - what rules?

My opinion? Who cares?

Comment

Yes they did sound weak.

Believe me, I used to be a bigtime Boyz fan, and ever since they lost most of their MAIN singers to Midnite Express they have lost the power. Sure they still have some great songs, but Black Lodge just had them beat in my opinion. One thing I want to clarify. I didn't think The Boyz won by cheating. Just thought they didn't deserve first. But last year they got ripped!

Comment

schemitz

i didn't go this year or last, but i know that blacklodge won back to back last year ('01)
          and more than one friend of mine said blacklodge only had limited singers and sound nothing like when they have a full crew out here. and they still won overall and contemporary.

that's just how it goes.:Chatter

and this year you say they deserved first?

Comment

well you know it takes more than one man to make a drum group sound good, the boyz did sound good, the had lots of leaders, and some good songs..i say good job to them and i'm happy for them..all of the drums did good. the switch contest for the drums was good, but i think the top two in that should have been snakeisland and southern boys, boy yhe both sound great...there was lots of people that was wondering where was all of the drums...well what i can figer is that 4000 and rooms was not good enuff for them..but also i can see where there are coming from. schemitzun did it too them self. they had so much money to give for drum contest, then next thing it's gone, and then so are the drums. now drums want big money for host jobs. i think this all came from schemitzun, you can not get as big name drum for a little price. drums are really over charging for host, if you do get a drum for a little price and then when they do show the may show up with a few guys and then pick up a few jump ons. now i wonder what going to happen to the drums when the money for singing goes down, like now..are they going to stay local???

Comment

DUH CHO ZEN 1

Sounds like you have some issues......Why don't you take em up with folks eye to eye........Sure we all have the "freedom" of speech, but c'mon people why do you air the dirty laundry here? As the freaking tipi turns.........It goes round and round here? Hey Paul you really had a good idea this Pow Wows dot com, and I like this site, but some people really have gripes about this and that and they are never satisfied? No matter what someone always has something to complain about or cry around about something......Its so ironic I myself am crying around right now, but I know i'm preaching to the choir.........I just know there is a sniper reading this right now getting ready to pick me off, but thats alright cause it just "be's that way sometimes........" Just get your house in order people, do your homework, and WALK YOUR TALK, cause theres a Coyot in the house. As for you DUH Cho Zen 1.......How the hell could Schemitzun have been the best Pow Wow? What is all this best crap? Remember United Tribes...back in the day? How about Badlands Celebration? Did you ever chomp on a dusty peice of frybread over in Poplar at 2 bells in the morning, watching the finals? Hey Duh Cho zen ONE remember Piapot way back when, or Fort Kipp? Yeah times change and Pow Wows go up and yes they go down, but there sure are alot of skins who enjoy em. Okay you made a point about Jonathon Windy Boy, but remember he danced this year and who except Gabe even came close to touching him as far as Grass dance is concerned? I guess alot of dancers just stayed home because they knew he was a shoe in, Zee! He won because he can dance and it speaks for itself! Then you take a cheap shot on Ronnie D, and try to imply he picks friends of participants who are competing? Geez maybe then we should all get rugged and just be enemies and hate on each other so it would be fair then? Ronnie is fair and he knows Pow Wow, nuff said on that subject......As far as what you said about singers, i'm not even gonna go there........Cause my sermon is about to finish, but I think your handle; "dachozn1" is a well picked name and your living up to it, keep up the goot work.......
              "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

The original poster brought up some good points and there definitely some good comebacks. First of all, I did not go to this pow-wow and haven't been since '96. I must agree it appears the same people are always on the head staff and without a doubt they are very good (R.G, Jonathan, Eashappie, etc...)

I have no doubt that TBZ sounded good even without the assistance of Midnite Express. Midnite is very explosive. but on the other hand if TBZ had at least 10 of their singers and their woman backup, is there even a doubt they did not jam? They are very good group. Without listening, I think they probably deserved it and that is not any slap to the other drums they went up against. Hell Blacklodge with a full crew is totally awesome, much could be said for Blackstone, Whitefish, Mandaree on and on and on...

If I was the head dude at Schemitz I would pay 20 Host drums 10k and have a contest for only the dancers with whatever prize $$ they want to give out. First place anywhere from $1500 up to $3000

Why did this pow-wow become the World Championship? is it because of the largest payout? Seems like there are other pow-wows around who can lay claim to this as well. I'd say if a dancer can prove they have won either 1st,2nd or 3rd at ANY pow-wow during that given year, then they could be eligible to compete for the Grand Prize of $3000.

I think for those host drums they can not be invited back until one full year concludes. This way alot of drums get to be host instead of the same ones.

I wonder sometimes when it comes to rules and I had heard that there was a 6 minimum rule this year for drum groups. YET, Cozad placed with 6 singers. How could that be? Did they sing any newer or different songs or basically the same ones they have been singing for the last 5-6 years? Doesn't a drum get bonus points for singing newer songs or songs they have used previously? Just a thought and not intended to be a slam as the songs they do choose are good ones, but......

That's my 2 cents.

And as i've said before I haven't been to Connecticut since '96.
                badbraids

Comment

I think the people who put on Schemitzun self proclaimed their powwow as the championship because of the money they once offered. I think everyone kinda went along with it because a lot of good dancers and most good drums showed up for it. However, I don't think that's the case anymore. Maybe it should now be called the championship of smoke dancing and singing because they sure had enough of that. But that's another story.

About the Cozads:
                  I think you meant to say 8 minimum rule badbraids and yes Cozad only had 6. How they won, I have no clue. And of course they didn't sing any new songs. They never sing any new songs. If you watch the fancy dancers when Cozad sings their lightning fast fancy dance songs, everyone of the dancers hit the stop because Cozad has been singing the same two fancy dance songs for the past 6 years. The dancers have heard the songs so much that it has become second nature on when to stop even though they can't hear the Cozads singing.

And let's talk about the switch song. How do you have a contest where every drum is judged by a different group of judges? And how can you have a contest where your judges are the same group of guys you're competing against? Unless you happen to pick a song from a drum group who was not even in the switch contest, e.g. Blacklodge (Cozad) - 1st, Bear Creek (Cozad) - 3rd.

-Kool B
                  ~KB~

Comment

You go, Coyot. I was at all of those pow wows in the day. Piapot and Kakiwistahaw (? spelling, Broadview anyways), Oil Celebration, Red Bottom,Tribes, Rocky Boy, Ft Belknap. I also have been to Connecticut several times. Pow wows evolve, but the spirit can still be there when you take it there with you. Whether you dance or sing. As for the dancers, Jonathon is the best of all time, no doubt, no questions, get on with it. As my late dad always said "Champions will always end up in the winners circle, because they are champions.They catch your eye, they earn your respect. But, remember, everybody has their time to win. You earn it, you pay your dues, and then you move on." 10 years from now, there will be new champions and we will all enjoy watching them. When you see a pow wow poster, if you like the head staff and you can see that it is going to a good powwow that you would enjoy, you go. Otherwise stay home, or go somewhere else.

Comment

Just wondering, Cozad took first at Schemitzun and at the same time they were the host drum at the Southern Calif. Indian Center Powwow in Orange County on the West Coast. Hmmmmm...

Dan

Comment

thats why they had six guys (or however many, just going by the above posts). this kind of thing happens all the time. drums split the drum and end up singing different places. for these big name drums, there are always going to be singers who will sit in with them.

Comment

Dachozn--

Whew...I am glad you are just one person and one opinion. You sound like you either sing with MidExp or are related to one of them. Are you?

Because you came off hating...like ya was stung by a bee!

Look...just accept the fact that The Boyz are good singers and that when those other guys decided to go off on their own...they did NOT TAKE EVERYONE!!

When Opie left and dragged those other guys with him. He did it with the intention of hurting The Boyz.

But The Boyz are still going strong.

Now...KoolBreeze...

Why ya hating on the Cozads. No need to hate on some really respected folks.

NIC--

Comment

Duh Cho ZEN 1

Tohanshe.......3 words for you as far as Cozad......REGISTERED WOMEN SINGERS......ugh! Duh! never thought about that? State i'm giving you high fives and a wink, errr.......

Duh! "misinformed 1";

How many times do I have 2 say DO YOUR HOMEWORK......If you don't know what your talking about shat up! gawd!
                            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Re: Schemitzun!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dachozn1
                              [B]Hey powwow committee!

Why don't you just invite the certain dancers, drums, and head staff that you want to pay?

If you look in your program booklet you see the same dancers names every year since 95. It's gets a little lame. Sure they are great dancers but there are other really good dancers too. I imagine if you pick different head staff except for really well known people such as John WindyBoy, Ron Good Eagle maybe other head staff will pick judges that just pick anyone instead of just picking friends of the best dancers, then maybe some fairness will come out of it. I noticed the MC's saying "judge on talnet, not just names". So that was bull because I know there are other great dancers, but everyone knew who the winners were gonna be. THE ONES WITH THE NAMES!

If you also look at all of the "favorites" lists on pow-wows.com you will see the same names repeated over and over too. Sour grapes?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X