Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leanin' Sticks

Howdy, Men!

I just had a quick question for some other Southern Singers.

When I sing Southern, I am in the habit of drumming with my right hand and leaning on a stick with the left.

Questions is: why do we do this? I never even thought about it, I guess I just saw the other guys "leanin' " while at the Drum and picked it up. Never thought twice about it until I had occasion to.

Any thoughts on this? I do it just because it is comfortable, but maybe there is something more behind this that I don't know-any thoughts? Is there any significance to this that I am missing?

Wa Do!
    Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Originally posted by tsalaghisam
    Howdy, Men!

I just had a quick question for some other Southern Singers.

When I sing Southern, I am in the habit of drumming with my right hand and leaning on a stick with the left.

Questions is: why do we do this? I never even thought about it, I guess I just saw the other guys "leanin' " while at the Drum and picked it up. Never thought twice about it until I had occasion to.

Any thoughts on this? I do it just because it is comfortable, but maybe there is something more behind this that I don't know-any thoughts? Is there any significance to this that I am missing?

Wa Do!
    I've heard it's done to keep your upper body STRAIGHT, so you can get more air into your lungs. ....think about it......an UPRIGHT torso can take in more air than a bent or slightly bent one.

....there might be other explanations seeing as how everyone seems to have their own take or explanation for things.....but, that's my contribution.

They can be beaded, or just plain sticks. I've been given three in my 29 years on Planet Earth......all from older singers who basically said something to the affect of......"any singer worth his salt needs a stick to lean on".

I've found to be somewhat cumbersome though, so, rarely use them.
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

You got to be Kidding me?
      :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Problem?

Originally posted by SBZ4life
        You got to be Kidding me?
        Nope.

You kiddin' me?
        Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Leaning on stick

Hmmm...this is interesting thought. I personally never did any leaning...but I agree on proper posture for singing. I have a separate ponder though--originally not mine, but...Why do we use the vocable or word "Yoi" in our songs??
          I suspect with every other practice we all do..its tradition.

Comment

tsalag,

I was told that these sticks do have an origin.

In days gone...

A stick would be passed within a drum to individuals who were going to lead songs. When the song was finished it was passed to the next person who was going to lead the next song.

These sticks were often held straight up (like a staff) or leaned on.

Hope this helps.

The modern leaning stick is less used by the new generation of singers. At traditional dances they are more prevalent.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Wa Do to WhoMe and Mr Bo Jangles for your positive feedback.

Thanks for your insight, guys!

Sa Mi

Comment

Oh my God!!! This is a stupid thread. STupid Question. Ask something more realistic.

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Welcome to Absurdity..

If this thread is absurd...then why respond? If you got something better to say...Say-it! The art of conversation begins with a thought..albeit, sometimes an absurd one, but still an original thought...ever been original?

Comment

Tsalaghisam

I have a particular leaning/singing stick that was given too me years ago that I use...though I have to admit sometime I just lean on a second drum stick.

Here are a few additional insights/reason that they might be used. The length of a leaning stick is largely a matter of personal preference but I have found that when the leaning stick sets at just about your chin and you have a fist resting on top of it, your voice kinda bounces off that fist and back at your ear allowing you to hear your lead better.

Now another thing that I have heard several old men around the drum say when given a new leaning stick... and I quote "Boy this sure is pretty and it will really be a shame that I can't use it, cause my old one already has all them good songs in it."

A bit more to ponder on.
                    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Originally posted by Niwiwan2005
                      If this thread is absurd...then why respond? If you got something better to say...Say-it! The art of conversation begins with a thought..albeit, sometimes an absurd one, but still an original thought...ever been original?

Corny corny corny...Where in Oklahoma are you from?

Comment

Just messin with cha..

I was wondering how long it would take you to respond to the friendly jab. So...What do you really think about this thread's topic? What would be a better topic?

In jest,

Niwiwan

Comment

lean back... lean back!!!
                          Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

I was informed of a more descriptive story like the one powwowbum49 mentions. I was also told it typically carried an "arrogant" stigma with it for those "younger" guys who chose to mock the older generations.

My question for you all out there is how many people/drums do you using an actual leaning/singing stick?
                            To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

A couple of guys on my drum use a leaning stick, but the tend to be the bigger guys so they slouch when they sing.

Another use for the leaning stick, at least what I was taught, was when you teach a new guy a song you put your left hand on the top of the stick and cover your mouth. That way they have to listen to the song to learn it, so they dont just read your lips. I hope that helps.
                              Well, I'd tell you what it was... but then I'd be braggin' -Pop

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.