Clear All

• Crowmagnum
    replied
    I'll have to try that. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Crowmagnum
    ...when you teach a new guy a song you put your left hand on the top of the stick and cover your mouth. That way they have to listen to the song to learn it, so they dont just read your lips. I hope that helps.

CrowM,

Just tell the newbie to close his eyes.

It will have the same effect.

Leave a comment:

• hobbs49
    replied
    Originally posted by Crowmagnum
    A couple of guys on my drum use a leaning stick, but the tend to be the bigger guys so they slouch when they sing.
    I resemble that remark!

Leave a comment:

• Crowmagnum
    replied
    A couple of guys on my drum use a leaning stick, but the tend to be the bigger guys so they slouch when they sing.

Another use for the leaning stick, at least what I was taught, was when you teach a new guy a song you put your left hand on the top of the stick and cover your mouth. That way they have to listen to the song to learn it, so they dont just read your lips. I hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• LSS
    replied
    I was informed of a more descriptive story like the one powwowbum49 mentions. I was also told it typically carried an "arrogant" stigma with it for those "younger" guys who chose to mock the older generations.

My question for you all out there is how many people/drums do you using an actual leaning/singing stick?

Leave a comment:

• TacO5000
    replied
    lean back... lean back!!!

Leave a comment:

• Niwiwan2005
    replied
    Just messin with cha..

I was wondering how long it would take you to respond to the friendly jab. So...What do you really think about this thread's topic? What would be a better topic?

In jest,

Niwiwan

Leave a comment:

• SBZ4life
    replied
    Originally posted by Niwiwan2005
    If this thread is absurd...then why respond? If you got something better to say...Say-it! The art of conversation begins with a thought..albeit, sometimes an absurd one, but still an original thought...ever been original?

Corny corny corny...Where in Oklahoma are you from?

Leave a comment:

• powwowbum49
    replied
    Tsalaghisam

I have a particular leaning/singing stick that was given too me years ago that I use...though I have to admit sometime I just lean on a second drum stick.

Here are a few additional insights/reason that they might be used. The length of a leaning stick is largely a matter of personal preference but I have found that when the leaning stick sets at just about your chin and you have a fist resting on top of it, your voice kinda bounces off that fist and back at your ear allowing you to hear your lead better.

Now another thing that I have heard several old men around the drum say when given a new leaning stick... and I quote "Boy this sure is pretty and it will really be a shame that I can't use it, cause my old one already has all them good songs in it."

A bit more to ponder on.

Leave a comment:

• Niwiwan2005
    replied
    Welcome to Absurdity..

If this thread is absurd...then why respond? If you got something better to say...Say-it! The art of conversation begins with a thought..albeit, sometimes an absurd one, but still an original thought...ever been original?

Leave a comment:

• SBZ4life
    replied
    Oh my God!!! This is a stupid thread. STupid Question. Ask something more realistic.

Leave a comment:

• tsalaghisam
    replied
    Wa Do to WhoMe and Mr Bo Jangles for your positive feedback.

Thanks for your insight, guys!

Sa Mi

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    tsalag,

I was told that these sticks do have an origin.

In days gone...

A stick would be passed within a drum to individuals who were going to lead songs. When the song was finished it was passed to the next person who was going to lead the next song.

These sticks were often held straight up (like a staff) or leaned on.

Hope this helps.

The modern leaning stick is less used by the new generation of singers. At traditional dances they are more prevalent.

Leave a comment:

• Niwiwan2005
    replied
    Leaning on stick

Hmmm...this is interesting thought. I personally never did any leaning...but I agree on proper posture for singing. I have a separate ponder though--originally not mine, but...Why do we use the vocable or word "Yoi" in our songs??
    I suspect with every other practice we all do..its tradition.

Leave a comment:

• tsalaghisam
    replied
    Problem?

Originally posted by SBZ4life
    You got to be Kidding me?
    Nope.

You kiddin' me?

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.