Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RedShield
    replied
    I dunno, as far as I'm concerned... on a southern drum, the only people actually at the drum should be men, with the women backing them up seated directly behind them. That's my opinion and I have never seen anything different on a southern drum....

Now northern is a different story, my wife is from the Pacific Northwest, and there are a lot of all women or mostly women or mixed drums I have seen out there when we go to pow wows out there. Most are family drums, but my wife and some of her friends formed an all women drum group when she was younger and sang all over the northwest with no problem, even contesting with no problem.

She and I have definate differences of opinion on this matter, but she knows as long as I am a Southern singer it is a moot point, if I was singing northern though... it may be a different story.

Leave a comment:

• LSS
    replied
    Originally posted by suthernwaterbird
    Yea that is true, I know I have had to be head singer, and watch my lil bro n sis while my mom was sick once, and it's not an easy task. That's when (if there are any) the other singers wive's and mom's come in to help a lil bit. Usually I just sit my lil sis behind me, beside the women while she played. But ofcourse, we know kids, and they don't just sit there the whole time. You know what LSS, we should start up a powwow daycare, 20 bux and a NDN Taco PER KID! ayez lol

Sorry dude....inflation....20 bux and 2 ndn tacos per brat!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• KeenKiowaBabe4Ever
    replied
    Huhn

I Hear That Same Way As Most Here, That Women Are And Should Not Be Alout Near A Drum, That Is Tha Ole Way And That Is That Way That It Should Be. Respect The Ole Way As Much As Possible Please, I Mean Why Not? Just Cause They White World Has Changed Most Dont Let It Change What Is Really There! Our Existance Relies On What Is There Nd What Was Given To Us From Elders, Why Would We Be Taught Something Just To Have Another Take That Away And Start A New Fad?

Leave a comment:

• suthernwaterbird
    replied
    lol we might have to make an agreement with the food stands. No ice cream/any sugar product sold to children under 10. lol shooot I might have to hire some more help... Any takers?

Leave a comment:

• nativesweetie77
    replied
    Now that sounds like a definite plan. Daycare at a Pow Wow. Where can I sign up! Just to warn ya'll though my two are quite " active". So whoever's in charge might want to watch out. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• danbear
    replied
    sounds like a plan

Yea that is true, I know I have had to be head singer, and watch my lil bro n sis while my mom was sick once, and it's not an easy task. That's when (if there are any) the other singers wive's and mom's come in to help a lil bit. Usually I just sit my lil sis behind me, beside the women while she played. But ofcourse, we know kids, and they don't just sit there the whole time. You know what LSS, we should start up a powwow daycare, 20 bux and a NDN Taco PER KID! ayez lol

that sound's like a plan there

Leave a comment:

• suthernwaterbird
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nativesweetie77
    replied
    I'm torn on this issue. I see both LSS and suthernwaterbird's points on the matter. While I don't really agree with girls siiting at the drum I understand LSS' concerns. As a parent myself I understand the need to have your children in your sight line at all times ( You can never be too careful, even at Pow Wow). I think in the situation that a father has his daughter at an event and has no one to wach her it would depend on two things, the age of the child and how the other drummers feel about it. Very young girls I don't really see a problem with but once they reach a certain age I don't really think it's appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• LSS
    replied
    Here's a question for you...

I think that you should define little girls. A baby girl younger than 2, I don't see a problem with that. But I think, depending on tribal beliefs, that once the girl advances beyond that age, she should begin to be taught appropriate behavior around the drum.
    Lets say that the childs mother does not attend the pow wow but is gung-ho about hangin w/ dad. I know, whenever I am father, I will be a little uneasy about my daughter (if thats what we're blessed with) is not in my sights. Now, I am well aware that the guys at the drum will be her uncles and they would not let anything happen to her...but, there is still that since of urgency as a parent.

Leave a comment:

• suthernwaterbird
    replied
    I think that you should define little girls. A baby girl younger than 2, I don't see a problem with that. But I think, depending on tribal beliefs, that once the girl advances beyond that age, she should begin to be taught appropriate behavior around the drum.

Leave a comment:

• clm
    replied
    i saw this drum group once before where the women out numbered the men i think there was like 5 women and like 2 men some people who came from out of state were what is going on

Leave a comment:

• trapstar99
    replied
    Danbear,
    it's me dean many women do sing on drums up north and it is acceptable in many areas but living where we do many people are not open minded bc maybe their tribe or clan disagrees with it.

Leave a comment:

• danbear
    replied
    Hmmm

Originally posted by WhoMe
    Okay everyone.

It has been established that children are our future and should be allowed at the drum.

Hmmmm?

What about "little" girls sitting on their father's lap? (this is a legit question).

Anyone?????
    i've seen this a time or two i don't know what to think about it...that's a tough issue to tackle

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Okay everyone.

It has been established that children are our future and should be allowed at the drum.

Hmmmm?

What about "little" girls sitting on their father's lap? (this is a legit question).

Anyone?????
    Last edited by WhoMe; 02-10-2006, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• suthernwaterbird
    replied
    No kids? Wrong. Having children at the drum is the best possible thing we could do. If there is no youth, there is no future. That grandpa attracts the young ones, that's just the way it is. I have been singing since I was a baby and my little brother and many other people I have grown up with. So as long as we continue to dance and sing, there will always be children at that drum and in that circle.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.