Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea

Wanted to run something by some of you guys. I know there are about four to five drums on the east coast that sing Lakota songs (probably more, but only 4-5 that sing them correctly ) and was wondering what the possibility was of all of us getting together at one pow wow and setting up one large group and kick out some songs. The drums I'm referring to now are:
    Otter Tail
    Oak Leaf
    Bum Knees
    Eagle Rock
    Spring Creek
    Leading Fighter

Just curious. PM me or write back if you wanna try to get something together. Scott

hey scott,
    i would be glad to get something like together but for soem reason that idea sounds familar. oh, yeah, we talked about it this weekend.
    i'll talk to the guys from Oak Leaf and let you know, since i sit with them also.
    and thanks for all the names, i could not remember them.

also, to all the Lakota singing drums on the East Coast area. can you put your drum names, head singers name and address and phone numbers on here. i need to get into contact with every lakota drum in the area because me and my fiance want to host a pow wow in conjunction with our wedding and would love to have all of ya'l there singing and dancing. all other drums would be welcome also.

keith

Comment

well, the lead singer from Oak Leaf (says to find out when we could all get together and he'll see what we can do.) he likes this idea

keith

Comment

OK, guys, this is a shot in the dark but here goes. You all are pretty spread out. Would you consider Athens, Ohio, Ohio University as a possible place to gather?

Here's why. The local student group, Native People's Awareness Coalition (NPAC) wants to sponsor a "concert" style event for on Jan 5th or 6th, 2001.

This is intended to be a benefit event to raise money for the Leonard Peltier Defense Fund(sp). There is a last minute push to try to get Clinton to grant him amnesty before leaving office.

Although not planned as a powwow so far, with some work and shuffle it could be turned into one. We think with some drums we could draw 200 to 400 interested students and community members. We get that sort of turnout for a decent guest speaker. If we put out the word and make it a winter powwow we could probably draw a good number of dancers providing the weather is good.

Any takers?

The event is not a done deal yet. We're looking at using the ball room of the OU student center if it is to be a big event. There might be some "funds" from the college to help pay for it but not likely much. Remember it is a "benefit".

Comment

i'll be willing to sing and/or dance or both. i'm not sure about the two drums that i sing with but will talk to them and i'll talk to some other dancers and singers for ya.

keith

Comment

O'BOY, O'BOY,
            The balls start'n to roll. The boys in Hampton are talking, the boys in Morgantown are talking, the boys in Cleveland are talking. Anybody else getting excited, I can almost hear the songs already! This could be a GREAT winter social!

Benther

Comment

I can't speak for the rest of the drums or head singers, but ours wouldn't be interested in something like that because of the political and AIM ties that a gathering like that would bring. If it was a benefit for your native student organization we'd be more than willing to come up there, but we don't like to mix politics with our drum.

Comment

Originally posted by BPlenty:
                I can't speak for the rest of the drums or head singers, but ours wouldn't be interested in something like that because of the political and AIM ties that a gathering like that would bring. If it was a benefit for your native student organization we'd be more than willing to come up there, but we don't like to mix politics with our drum.

No problem. I understand those who feel this way. Still, anybody else out there interested in singing for this benefit event?
                Benther_Dunthat

Comment

hey I know a couple of buds that are interested in singing for this benefit event, just get in touch with me on the info

Comment

Comment

I 've been reading and was wonder if any gropus are interested in a "pick up". I've been on the trail for some years now.

Comment

I'm sure you'll find that alot of singers will come to support Leonard in any way possible as the majority of us singers are warriors in our hearts just like Leonard and we as singers prove this every day by singing war dance songs and veteran songs to honor those who have stood up and sacrificed themselves for our people.

Comment

I'm sure you'll find that alot of singers will come to support Leonard in any way possible as the majority of us singers are warriors in our hearts just like Leonard and we as singers prove this every day by singing war dance songs and veteran songs to honor those who have stood up and sacrificed themselves for our people.

Comment

Senoy; Creedream; Whitewolf and others interested in singing at Ohio University, Athens, Ohio:

Thank you for your positive response. Sorry I've had some trouble communicating and I've got to stop as the middleman if this is going to happen.
                            I'm willing and trying to help BUT, details of the event are being worked out by someone else.
                            Therefore I am forwarding your comments and giving you the email here:
                            Please contact Megan at:
                            [email protected]

Tell her Michael sent you.
                            aka Benther_Dunthat

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X