Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thatone
    Guest replied
    there are quite a few people that use those tennis wraps, nice grip and cheap as hell too. like $2 something for 3 of them at walmart. ive made a few with those and was surprised when ive seen others with them too. they are nice like that though.

Leave a comment:

• o_styo_jngl
    replied
    my dad uses fiber glass rods...and he varies with the head of the drum stick depending on the hide of the drum how many singers and type of sound they want to achieve (or so he says)...But the really coo idea that he came up with for the handle is go to a sporting goods store and get those tennis handles...(i think that's what he said) or those rubber wraps that they also use for tennis, baseball bats and what not....He says they're pretty comfortable. As for those coo designs...either tape or threadwrapping!!!

Leave a comment:

• midgaardserpent
    replied
    She:kon onkwehonwe, Greetings Native people, I make my own. I've made one from a piece of deadfall from the wilds of prospect park here in Brooklyn NY, I wrapped the head with some tobacco colored deer suede then covered that ball of suede with a square of the same suede, took another piece and glued and wrapped around the handle and purposely left the suede much longer than the handle to fringe it which I then put red white and blue pony beads on each fringe, yu can see an old picture of it before the fringe on my web page at My page

I also made one from an air dried Deer leg wrapped with a grayish white deer suede ball and square of the same suede over the ball. when time permits I'll make a few more of these as I still have 5 deer legs in the yard drying.

o:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

Leave a comment:

• BigBearStyle
    replied
    sticks

The best sticks arent made, they are born...um, waite a sec. Sorry. The best stcks are fiberglass. Handle duct tape, wrapped like the duct tape...heads must be hard or soft according to the sounds of your drum. Sorry man, if you want em to sound good its gona take some tiral and error. And if your really really lazy, try e-bay. lol

Leave a comment:

• contemptradish
    replied
    hey gahzun-

pearl or tama? i say blah. i'll stick with my pro-marks and firths. that's where the goods are at!

Leave a comment:

• nativegal
    replied
    About $20 per stick this includes shippimg to Jersey. But we might be able to talk. PM Me.

Leave a comment:

• nativegal
    replied
    How long? What kind of leather/ color of leather? We use electrical tape for decoration. What color electrical tape? Then I can give you as price range. How much you willing to pay for 8 sticks?

Leave a comment:

• Red Blanket
    replied
    Drum sticks

What color are the sticks. due you have a picture. I will need approx 8 sticks. How Much?

Red Blanket Singers

Will

Leave a comment:

• nativegal
    replied
    Our guys use reflectors( $2 or $3 at walmart) cut to the desired length, put some contact cement on the places that you are going to wrap with yarn, wrap the head with yarn to the thickness that you want, then cover with leather ( take the leather and cut to perfect size in diameter and sew inside out then turn right side out., same for the handle. Seal the leather lip with sinew. Hard to explain, wish we could draw a pic so you'd have a better understanding on how it's done.

Leave a comment:

• gahzundteit
    replied
    I usually like using Pearl or Tama sticks....sounds good on my cymbals. hoka

Leave a comment:

• contemptradish
    replied
    how the hell did you get that high karma?!

Leave a comment:

• contemptradish
    replied
    ito-
    what more do i have to do?! i make sticks for the whole drum and you're not happy with them?? sure the felt all ripped off, i swear i'll repair them. i do my best for you! when will i ever make you happy?!?!
    :( :Cry :Cry

Leave a comment:

• Maza Hokshila
    replied
    the old way

willow sticks green, soft leather, pond catails, from late summer, one needle, some sinew, you got drumsticks..

Leave a comment:

• serapin
    replied
    bah!!!
    go but a bicycle flag from walmart for the rods
    $3-4 will get you a good three sticks worth...four if you make em short

for the heads...ace bandages and duct tape
    Last edited by serapin; 03-04-2002, 03:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chazbot
    replied
    I use the flexible fiberglass rods from Crazy Crow or one of the other catalogs. At $1.50 each, you can't beat the quality.

For the grip, I start with a piece of pressure hose (sink quality, its cheap) that just slips over the rod. This widens the stick, is slighly giving to pressure, and shifts the weight into your hand. I cover this with a few layers of felt. A few drops of contact cement keeps the felt in place. Sometimes I will wrap some thread around the felt as well. Nothing heavy, just a few wraps up and down the felt to hold it in place. Then cover with leather.

It is imporant to size the grip to the person using it if they have very small or very large hands.

For the head, I cut felt into a truncated right triangle, . I coat the head of the stick with contact cement and then carefully wrap the felt on the stick when the cement is tacky. When the shape is how I like it, then I wrap lightly with thread to hold it in place and then cover with leather. If you like a heavier stiffer head, then you can use contact cement over the entire felt surface before wrapping. It seems to work better than duct tape.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.